Autism Spectrum Disorders Clinical Team Members
Psychiatry and Neurology
- Paul Mitrani, MD, PhD, is board certified in pediatrics, psychiatry and child and adolescent psychiatry and is the Director of the Child and Adolescent Consultation and Liaison Service at Stony Brook Children’s Hospital. He also oversees the Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders Clinic as the Director of Psychiatry Outpatient Services at Stony Brook. Dr. Mitrani provides evaluations and medication management for children and adolescents with a wide range of mental health diagnoses and works across disciplines to provide a comprehensive approach to the problems that children and families may encounter. Dr. Mitrani received his Doctor of Medicine and Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, and completed his residency in pediatrics, psychiatry, and child and adolescent psychiatry at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
- Dr. Mitrani is paneled with a number of insurance companies. The wait list for an evaluation with him is 4 months on average.
- Judith A. Crowell, MD is a Professor of Psychiatry, with board certifications in Psychiatry and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. She is the Director of the Stony Brook Child and Adolescent Psychiatry division and the coordinator of the Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinical Team. She provides evaluations and medication management to children and teens with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), anxiety and mood disorders, and has special expertise in assessment and treatment of very young children. Dr. Crowell received her Doctor of Medicine from the University of Vermont, College of Medicine. She completed her residency at New England Medical Center/Boston VA Medical Center and the University of Wisconsin Medical Center and her fellowship and post-doctoral training in child and adolescent psychiatry at the Children’s Hospital of Stanford, Stanford University Medical Center.
- Dr. Crowell is paneled with a number of insurance companies. The wait list for an evaluation with her is 4 months on average. She often works with a child and adolescent psychiatry fellow for the evaluation and in treatment follow-up.
- Zoya Popivker, DO is a Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, with board certifications in Psychiatry and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Her practice serves children, adolescents and young adults with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and other developmental disabilities, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), anxiety, depression and other mental health concerns. Dr. Popivker provides evaluations and medication management for these children, adolescents and young adults. She received her Doctor of Osteopathy from the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine, and completed a residency in psychiatry at Long Island Jewish Medical Center and a fellowship in child and adolescent psychiatry at The Johns Hopkins Hospital.
- Dr. Popivker is not paneled by insurance, although out-of-network benefits can be used in some cases. She has a wait list time of 1-2 weeks on average as well as openings for treatment, including medication management.
- Jill Miller-Horn, MD, Assistant Professor of Neurology and Pediatrics, is a pediatric neurologist at the Stony Brook Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders. She is board certified in neurology, pediatric neurology, and epilepsy. Dr. Miller-Horn has expertise in the medical evaluation and treatment of children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and other neurological disorders. She specializes in treatment of seizure disorders and sleep in the ASD population. Dr. Miller-Horn received her Doctor of Medicine from Drexel University College of Medicine. She completed her residency in pediatrics at St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children in Philadelphia, a fellowship in epilepsy at Children’s Hospital Boston-Harvard Medical School, and a fellowship in child neurology at Stony Brook University Hospital.
- Dr. Miller-Horn's office is in the Pediatric Neurology clinic, 631-444-2599.
- Michele A. Kelly CPNP, NPP is a Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner as well as Nurse Practitioner in Psychiatry. She provides psychiatric evaluations, diagnoses and treatment to children and adolescents, incorporating a strong medical background in specialty areas including neurosurgery, hematology-oncology, and infectious diseases with an emphasis on HIV. She has been involved in developmental testing and treatment of drug exposed infants for 18 years.
- Ms. Kelly is paneled with a number of insurance companies. The wait list for an evaluation with her is 3-4 months on average.
Psychology and Schools
- Jennifer Keluskar, PhD is a licensed clinical psychologist at the Stony Brook Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders. Her areas of specialization include autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and other developmental disabilities, anxiety disorders and behavior management for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Dr. Keluskar provides comprehensive diagnostic and psycho-educational evaluations. In addition, she uses cognitive behavioral interventions and works closely with parents. Dr. Keluskar uses the gold-standard measures for ASD assessment, including the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule – Second Edition (ADOS-2) and the Autism Diagnostic Interview™-Revised (ADI-R). Dr. Keluskar received her Doctor of Philosophy in clinical and school psychology from Hofstra University.
- Dr. Keluskar is not paneled by insurance, although out-of-network benefits can be used in some cases. She has a wait list time of 1-2 weeks on average for evaluation as well as openings for treatment, including behavioral interventions and cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Deborah Gerard, MS, BCBA, works collaboratively with families and with teachers and school staff in specific school districts to develop strategies and interventions to help each child achieve success both socially and academically in the school environment. She provides professional development to school staff to help them meet the needs of students with autism spectrum disorders. In addition, she provides support to high school students in the Summer Pre-College Experience Program.
- Ms. Gerard is not paneled by insurance, although out-of-network benefits can be used in many cases. She has a wait list time of 2-3 weeks for treatment with ABA and other behavioral modalities.
- Matthew D. Lerner, PhD is an Assistant Professor of Psychology, Psychiatry, and Pediatrics. He is an autism researcher and clinical psychologist at the Stony Brook Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders. He is also the Director of the Social Competence and Treatment Lab (SCTL) at Stony Brook University – where his and his research team’s focus is on understanding the emergence and “real world” implications of social problems in children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), as well as the development, evaluation and use of novel, evidence-based approaches for addressing those problems. Dr. Lerner provides (often free) assessment and treatment to individuals with ASD through studies in the SCTL, and supervises doctoral trainees in the Krasner Psychological Clinic. He has published several dozen articles and book chapters about ASD and serves on the editorial boards of several academic journals, including the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. Dr. Lerner is also co-chair of the Autism Spectrum & Developmental Disabilities Special Interest Group at the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies and received the Young Investigator Award from the International Society for Autism Research and the Rising Star designation from the Association for Psychological Science. Dr. Lerner received his Doctor of Philosophy in clinical psychology from the University of Virginia and completed an internship in child clinical psychology at the University of Chicago Medical Center, as well as fellowships in leadership education in neurodevelopmental and related disabilities at the University of Illinois – Chicago, and in evolutionary and ontogenetic dynamics at the Max Planck Institute for Human Development in Berlin, Germany.
- Dr. Lerner conducts research assessments to establish suitability for various study protocols.
For more information, go to the Lerner Lab Website
Social Work and Family Support
- Michael Greenberg, LCSW-R, ACSW has been a member of the Department of Psychiatry for over 20 years and a social worker at Stony Brook Medicine for over 30 years, including working in the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry's outpatient clinic and the Cody Center. Clinical activities include participating in the evaluation of children and families, observing children in their school settings as a component of their assessment and treatment, facilitating access to clinic services for children and families and assisting in linking children, families and other professionals with available community resources, treatment and services.
- Mr. Greenberg assists with assessment and treatment planning, joining with other staff members as needed.
- Naomi Chedd, LMHC, BCBA, is a child and family therapist and autism specialist at the Stony Brook Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders. Licensed as a mental health counselor and behavior analyst, Ms. Chedd assists families whose children who are served by the Office for Persons With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) with crisis management, treatment planning and brief counseling. She has more than 20 years of experience in both the public and private sectors with children with ASD and other developmental disabilities and their families, and is co-author of three books on autism treatment planning and intervention. Ms. Angoff Chedd received her Master’s in clinical mental health counseling from Lesley University and trained at the Developmental Evaluation Center, Boston Children’s Hospital.
- Ms. Chedd has availability for short term interventions with children and teens who are covered by OPWDD.
For questions about the ASD team and services, call 631-632-8668.
We are located at:
Stony Brook University
Putnam Hall, South Campus
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8790