If you're concerned about your memory, or that of a loved one or patient, Stony Brook Center of Excellence for Alzheimer's Disease can help. Our sole mission is to help provide early diagnosis and enhance the quality of life for people living with Alzheimer's disease, dementia or dementia disorders in Nassau and Suffolk Counties. As one of only 10 centers in New York State, supported in part by a grant from New York State Department of Health, we aim to serve everyone in the community in the most effective and comfortable way possible.
Our interdisciplinary team includes a geriatric psychiatrist, geriatrician, nurse practitioner, neuropsychologist and social worker. And we have partner locations throughout Long Island to serve you.
We offer the following services:
Assistance for Physicians
Our experts assist primary care physicians and other medical specialty providers in a variety of ways.
- Assessment and diagnosis of memory loss
- Comprehensive, individualized care plans
- Management of complex cases, including referrals to specialty care
- Technical help
- Educational resources for dificult diagnoses
- Second opinions to families who are unsure about the diagnosis
Regional Resource Center for Healthcare Professionals
Think of us too, as an educational resource with the most up-to-date information and resources on Alzheimer's. We provide continuing professional education to workers in senior centers, assisted living facilities and nursing homes about the importance of early diagnosis and treatment.
Assistance to Family Members
Our team also assists in ways that enhance the quality of life of everyone involved in the care of a loved one who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.
- Recommendatons on resources and support
- Language assistance
- Information about clinical trials at Stony Brook University and elsewhere
- Advocacy with and on behalf of caregivers to raise awareness of caregiver stress and caregiver burnout
The Stony Brook Center of Excellence for Alzheimer's Disease is located at Stony Brook University, Putnam Hall, South Campus, Stony Brook, NY 11794-8790. For more information, visit ceadlongisland.org. To schedule an appointment, call 631-954-2323.